Professor Annemarie Hennessy is the leader of the Vascular Immunology Group and the Dean and Foundation Chair of Medicine at the Western Sydney University. She has 20 years' experience in preeclampsia research and is actively involved in clinical and laboratory research into the causes of high blood pressure during pregnancy. She directs two PhD students at the Heart Research Institute (USYD) and one at Western Sydney University.
Professor Hennessy is also the Managing Director of PEARLS, a non-profit organisation established under the auspices of the Heart Research Institute, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and Campbelltown Hospital to raise funds to support ongoing research into the cause of preeclampsia in pregnancy.
Current medical appointments and positions
- Jan 2020: Pro Vice Chancellor Health Cluster WSU
- Aug 2019: Executive Dean, CSU/WSU Joint Program in Medicine
- Apr 2019: Distinguished Professor, WSU
- Mar 2019: Fellow, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, (Honorary)
- Mar 2019: Deputy Chair, Animal Research Review Panel of the NSW Department of Primary Industries
- Jan 2019: Co-director, Women’s Health Initiation – Translational unit (WHITU)
- Nov 2016: Editor in Chief, Pregnancy Hypertension. (Society Journal for the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy ISSHP)
- Sept 2016: Chair, Health Taskforce at WSU, representing Health interests at WSU.
- July 2016: ISSHP Executive - Editorial role
- Jan 2016: Senior Research Advisor, Central Sydney Local Health District
- May 2015: Global Health Committee, ISSHP/International Society of Obstetric Medicine
- Jan 2014: Member, Western Sydney University Executive
- July 2013: Member, Animal Research Review Panel, NSW Department of Primary Industries (MOH, Ministerial appointment)
- Feb 2013: Honorary Professor, School of Medicine, UNSW
- Oct 2011: Honorary Professor, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
- Sept 2011: Dean, School of Medicine (SoM), Western Sydney University
- Sept 2011: Board of Directors, Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research
- Sept 2011: Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee, Ingham Institute for Applied Medical Research
- Jan 2011: Chair, School Academic Committee (SAC) SoM, WSU
- Jul 2009: National Examination Panel (NEP). Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
- Oct 2006: Foundation Chair of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
- Oct 2006: Honorary Physician, Statewide Renal Services, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney
- Oct 2006: Conjoint appointment Department of Renal Medicine (Statewide Renal Services), Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, RPA Women’s and Babies
- 2002: Group Leader, Vascular Immunology Group, Heart Research Institute
- 2002: Executive Director, Preeclampsia Research Laboratories (Research and Education Foundation) (PEARLS)
- 2002: Visiting Physician, The Mater Hospital, North Sydney
- 2000: Member, Sydney LHD (Previously RPAH Zone SSWAHS) Research Animal Ethics Committee